I kind of lost my mojo in January--all my own fault. Things started off great...I was overjoyed to finish all the blocks for my Christmas (Celtic) Solstice quilt at quilt camp and almost got all the rows constructed too. When I returned home, I put on the last two rows and double checked my pattern for the border instructions just to see how many parts I needed to sew for each side.
In the words of Mr. Bill:
Linking with One Monthly Goal HERE
In the words of Mr. Bill:
|I did a lot of color substitutions from the original pattern. Where Bonnie used orange, I chose to use tan. This is how most of the star blocks look in my quilt. Those tan background star points (Peaky and Spike blocks aka Tri-Rec) were supposed to only be used in the borders, not in the blocks (obviously orange would not look good here!)--ack!|
|This is how all the blocks should look--using only the Peaky and Spike blocks with the white backgrounds. Before I realized my mistake, I was perfectly happy with my quilt--it looked fine. Once I realized what I had done, I was willing to live with it and told myself probably no one else would ever know the difference. You can probably guess where this is going....|
Yes, after a day or so, those errant blocks began to taunt me and I just couldn't stand looking at them any longer! I've spent the last two weeks reverse sewing the tan blocks and replacing them with the correct white ones (which I had already sewn into border strips, BTW... double ack!).
I'm about half way done--only 50 or so more to go. This has been very tedious, to say the least, but I know it would bother me forever if I didn't fix it.
Yeah, I'm nuts!!
I do vaguely remember some Peaky and Spike blocks along with some other fabrics in a baggie labeled Borders, and wondered why they were in there--duh!
Lesson learned: write yourself profuse notes (and reread the pattern) if you set a project aside for a while (years)!!
Christmas Solstice is going to be my February One Monthly Goal to complete, so hopefully I will persevere!
|To get a little relief (and do some forward sewing), I am making log cabin blocks using leftover fabrics from my 365 Challenge Blocks. |
I was inspired to get started on this project by the Béa et Cécile Quilt-a-Long on Facebook HERE. We do two blocks a week--I think I can handle that! These blocks are going to be used in an Idaho Square Dance top--the cover quilt on Bonnie Hunter's latest book. It's been a relaxing respite--no half square triangle to square up, no flying geese, and no Peaky and Spike blocks! As long as my quarter inch seam is accurate, this one should be a breeze. Hopefully, I won't end up packing this away so that in a few years I dig it out and mess it up like Christmas Solstice--haha!
|This is block four of Primitive Garden. |
I belong to a Facebook group that has been making one block a month and the shovel was our January block. It's been a fun Sew Along since the pattern designer, Lisa Bongean, has been watching over us and doing some give-aways. I've won some needles and a wool bundle--an extra incentive to stay on top of this project!
Back to my reverse sewing project--boo!